Make your garden hedgehog friendly by:
- Leaving 5inch gaps under fences to allow hedgehogs access to your garden, and encouraging your neighbours to do the same
- Leave piles of loose leaves and sticks to provide hibernating and foraging habitat
- Never using slug pellets – hedgehogs can do the job for you!
- Never feed bread and milk to hedgehogs – if you want to provide food occasionally, meat (not fish) based cat or dog food is better
- Check before lighting bonfires, strimming long grass or forking a compost heap to make sure you don’t disturb hedgehogs in residence
For more information on how you can help hedgehogs visit Hedgehog Street: http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/.